Texas A&M basketball gets the 2012-2013 season underway on November 9 in College Station against Louisiana Tech. The Aggies look like they've put together a squad that can match last season's team. They hope the loss of 49% of last season's minutes will be offset by the emergence of two Top 100 recruits and two other incoming freshmen.
The largest gap to fill for Texas A&M will be on offense, as the team lost 63.2% of their assists. That's followed by steals, where they lost another massive 53.2% of last season's numbers.
Texas A&M finished last year with an overall record of 13-17, placing 9th in the Big 12 with their 4-14 conference record. In postseason play, the Aggies lost to Kansas 83-66 in the Big 12 tournament. The Aggies lost key player Khris Middleton to the NBA, picked up by the Detroit Pistons at Round 2, #9.
Furthermore, Texas A&M lost last year's seniors Dash Harris (30 minutes per game), David Loubeau (26 MPG), Zach Kinsley (9 MPG), and Alex Baird (5 MPG). The Aggies will also have to get by without Naji Hibbert (transferred to Gardner-Webb) and Jamal Branch (transferred to St. John's).
The Aggies return senior Elston Turner (13.8 points/game), senior Ray Turner (9.1 points/game), junior Keith Davis (1.4 points/game), sophomore Jordan Green (1.2 assists/game), and sophomore Kourtney Roberson (4.6 points/game).
To make up for the loss, Texas A&M brings in two Top 100 Recruits. J-Mychal Reese is a 6-0 guard from Bryan, TX and is the #65 ranked recruit in the country. Alex Caruso is a 6-5 guard from College Station, TX and ranked #81.
Other freshmen include 6-4 Shawn Smith and 6-0 Kyle Dobbins. Also coming aboard are 6-8 junior Andrew Young and 5-11 junior Fabyon Harris.
The Aggies will go up against four AP preseason Top 25 opponents, including at #3 Kentucky on January 12th, #10 Florida on January 17th, and #3 Kentucky on February 2nd. The first SEC game for Texas A&M is against Arkansas on January 9th.
Tags: Dash Harris
- Since 2002, Texas A&M has an overall winning percentage of 62.9%. The Aggies have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 65.6%.
- The Aggies have an average conference finish of 4.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 7.5.
- In a 10 year period, Texas A&M has signed 7 Top 100 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Aggies have signed 11 Top 100 players.
- With Khris Middleton being drafted last year, that makes 5 Texas A&M players that have been drafted by the NBA in the last 10 years.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 134.4.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Kentucky (#1).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Houston Baptist (#325).
- Texas A&M has 4 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
, David Loubeau
, Zach Kinsley
, Alex Baird
, Naji Hibbert
, Jamal Branch
, Elston Turner
, Ray Turner
, Keith Davis
, Jordan Green
, Kourtney Roberson
, Shawn Smith
, Kyle Dobbins
, Andrew Young
, Fabyon Harris